Apalachicola River Fishing Info
The Apalachicola River begins at Lake Seminole and flows about 112 miles to the west of Tallahassee draining into the Gulf of Mexico. This scenic and undeveloped river is a great fishing destination for bass, in particular, among numerous other fish species.
The best spots for fishing on the Apalachicola River are in the lower section near Apalachicola Bay and the upper section just outside of Lake Seminole. Some of the fish species you can find on this river include largemouth bass, sunshine bass, striped bass, white bass, spotted bass, bluegill, flathead catfish, blue catfish, and shellcracker.
If you want bluegill or shellcracker, consider targeting fallen or submerged treetops. The sloughs off the river are also abundant with these species. The most effective baits include crickets, oak worms, earthworms, and catalpa worms.
If you are looking for bass, consider fishing current breaks such as creeks and creeks mouths, whether in the lower or upper river. The best baits for bass fishing would be crankbaits and plastic worms. However, live shad, spoons, and jigs usually deliver the best results for white bass and sunshine bass.
For speckled perch fishing, you also stand the best chance of success fishing around fallen treetops. Live minnow would deliver the most catch for this species. If you are interested in shrimps, crabs, or oysters, the Apalachicola Bay would be your ideal fishing spot.
Generally, it is advisable to target the tidal reaches, when the fish are very predictable. In fact, the first and last hours of the tidal cycles are generally promising. You can even get a decent catch during slack tide or when strong winds minimize tidal flow.
There are at least ten boat ramps along Apalachicola River, including Abercrombie, Bristol, Clyde Hopkins Park, Estiffanulga, Gardeners Landing Boat Ramp, Gaskin Park, and Jackson County boat ramp.
To fish in Apalachicola River, all anglers of at least 16 years of age must have a valid Florida freshwater fishing license. You can purchase your license online at Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission’s (FFWCC) website, over the phone, or from a local agent. You can find more information on fishing licensing and regulations on the FFWCC website.
Apalachicola River is one of the least-pressured fishing destinations in Florida. There is no bad time to fish as fish numbers remain sufficient for a good catch throughout the year. However, the best fishing times on this river occur during spring and summer.
That’s the time when water temperatures are favorable for fish. You may not get impressive results during the winter. If you need some good quality bass on Apalachicola River, you would want to go fishing in the spring and summer.
You will find a great mix of aggressive pre-spawn and spawning bass in February through March. If you want to catch most speckled perch in the shortest time, January to March would be the best time to go fishing, especially if you focus around fallen tree tops. Shellcracker and bluegill are best fished in the spring, also near fallen or submerged tree tops.
Hook & Weight Restrictions
- Size Name:One Size
- Sport Type: Boating Fishing Outdoor Lifestyle
- Country Of Origin: United States
- Package Dimensions: 0.375" ( H ) x 9.0" ( L ) x 6.0" ( W )
- 【Premium Fishing Tackle Kit】- PLUSINNO high-quality fishing lures gives beginner or expert anglers plenty of options to land virtually any type of fish, from bass to trout. 302 pieces fishing kits collects nearly all accessories including Popper/ Pencil/ Minnow/ Crankbait/ VIB/ Frog/ Spinner/ Spoon/ Plastic Worms/ Tube/ Split Tail Fishes / Off Set Hooks/ Jig Head/ Tube Jigs/ Fishing Weights sinkers/ Beads/ Swivels/Fishing Snaps and Tackle Box, suitable for all sorts of fishing condition.
- 【Variety of Lures Combination】- The 302 pieces fishing baits set comes with everything you need: 1pcs Crankbait, 1pcs Popper, 1pcs Pencil, 1pcs Minnow, 1pcs VIB, 1pcs Frog, 2pcs Split Tail Fishes, 10pcs Spinner Lures, 59pcs Soft Worms, 20pcs soft plastic shrimp, 30pcs split shots, 10pcs offset hooks, 15pcs Jigs, 5pcs drop shot weights, 10pcs bullet weights, 5pcs fishing Leaders, 100pcs hooks with box and more fishing gear, reliable and all-around choice for any angler and fishing enthusiast.
- 【High Quality Material】- The lifelike design minnow, popper, VIB, pencil & crankbait lures are made with 3D Eyes and ultra-realistic fish pattern finishes and even the smartest fish into thinking that the bait is a real fish which helps you to get fish easier. All lures are widely used and carefully selected, which are made of high-quality anti-corrosion stainless steel and plastic, strong and durable.
- 【Easy to Carry Around】- The compact fishing tackle equipment is equipped with a double-layer box which is convenient to get the exact fishing tackles you need. The bass fishing lures Set measures7.9 x 4.5 x 2.6 inches. The portable size will make the bait suit ideal for your fishing seat box or fishing backpack, easy to carry with you! Allow you to travel to your favorite fishing spot and enjoy fishing whenever and wherever you want.
- 【Best Gifts for Angers】 - This fishing lures set is designed to be used in freshwater or saltwater, which contains all kinds of baits and accessories that can be used in a variety of fishing occasions, great gift to any beginner or addictive anglers. Especially suitable for Father's Day, Valentine's Day, upcoming Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc.