After a long dry spell without wetting a line, I finally saw a break in the weather and took it. I loaded the yak and all my gear into the car the night before so I could get an early start and catch the sunrise bit session. The plan was to hit Breakfast Creek, mainly cause it’s close to home and with the weather still being quite cold and my window of fishing time being small, I wasn’t keen on travelling too far.
I got to the ramp around 6am, unloaded the kayyak and all my gear and headed upstream from the boat ramp. The tide was extremely low, probably the lowest I have seen it, so I had a few flicks along the muddy bank across from the ramp hoping to snag a few flathead with no luck. I decided to spend the session fishing soft plastics which I haven’t done for quite some time – i’ve been on the hard bodies for a few years now. The plastic of choice was a ZMAN motor oil 3″ grub rigged to my 2000 Shimano ci4 spinning reel. As i headed up stream against the current, I regularly threw random casts into the channel in the hope of getting a hit by a random fish – we have previously had success with all sorts of fish in the Brekky Creek including cod, jacks, grunter and trevally, so it’s always worth a shot putting as many casts in throughout the waterway. As I do not have a fish finder in the kayak, I fish purely on visuals and working my lures across as much water as possible.
My main aim was to get upstream to the muddy flats and target flathead, but along the way there are several bridges offering good structure to try your luck. I skipped the first bridge and straight lined it for the second double rail bridge. Casting towards the concrete pillars I slowly worked the plastic off the bottom and it wasnt long before I had my first hookup – a heathy decent sized bream. It fought hard and at first I was hoping for something different, but after not fishing for quite some time, I was happy with just landing a fish full stop!
I continued further upstream to the next bridge and by this time the tide was at a dead low. I flicked around for 30mins with not much luck, a few small bumps here and there but no takers. I decided to check out a place where I have caught some good Cod and with a quick flick into the shallows BAM I was on… it hit hard and took me straight under the concrete pylon and it was all over red-rover. I was now hooked onto an old crab pot rope with the fish now long gone. Luckily I had my trusty lure remover and after a few mins I was back in action – GET A LURE REMOVER!! They are so cheap and worth every cent!
As the tide was starting to change, I paddled furiously up to the flats to try for flathead. A few casts in and I was on! But it was no flathead and instead a small bream. I put in more and more casts as the skies began to open up and rain down upon me. Things weren’t looking good as I hid out under a bridge for the rain to ease, casting upstream and bouncing the plastic back towards me. After about 10 mins I was on again, this time there wasn’t much fight and finally I had a small flathead in the yakak.
The rain was easing so I decided to head back to the ramp paddling against the current which is always fun! The rain had resulted in a lot of oil/fuel/something across the top of the water which was pretty disgusting, not what you want to see in the waterways.